Working with local printers

Post information and questions you have about printing in any format, and publishing services like binding, scoring, cutting, and others.

Moderators:brettbloom, marcfischer

andysturdevant
Working with local printers

Post by andysturdevant » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:26 pm

When I was putting out my first two booklets, I worked with the only commercial local printer I knew, which was a locally-owned franchise of a nationally prominent company. I'd worked with them through a full-time job on some non-art related printing projects (business cards, pamphlets, etc.).

They did good work on my books and for a reasonable price, and the finished products look OK. Both were standard 5.5x8.5" sizes, one staple-bound, one comb-bound, with cardstock covers. However, I always get the feeling I'm not asking the right questions when trying to set everything up (probably because I have very, very little professional or educational background in design, printing or production). When working with a local printer (and particularly one that likely has little experience with printing art books), what are the sorts of questions you should be asking about paper weight, printing processes, image quality, etc.? What are the list of questions and criteria you have whenever working with a new printer?
http://www.birchwoodpalace.com

marcfischer

Re: Working with local printers

Post by marcfischer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:38 am

Hey Andy!

When I'm dealing with people locally, most of my questions have to do with budget. Things like: Is there anything I can do to make this job cheaper? Sometimes a small change in format, page size, etc. can make a big difference in price. Or, for example, one printer Temporary Services has used prints using a sheet size that is something like 12 1/2" X 18". If you want to make an 11X17 poster with them that is full bleed, that's what they are cutting down from. So if your design has a white border, you could get a larger poster out of that sheet without them having to trim, which also probably makes the price a little cheaper.

Also, it's always worth asking printers if there would be a price difference if you pay in cash. Printing is an area where I've found that you will be charged more if you use a credit card, and some printers might be willing to do a job under the table at a discount for cash. I also try to tell printers if I'm not in a rush. Letting a printer know that you don't absolutely need your job in 3 days and if they want to take a week it's fine, is the kind of thing that will be hugely appreciative if they are in the middle of a lot of jobs.

Certain papers definitely take ink differently and it can be worth asking about this if you are using an unusual stock. For example, newsprint takes ink differently than something like a smooth heavy paper. If you have an unusual paper you want them to print on, it can be worth asking if you can give them the paper you want them to use. For example, maybe you find an amazing closeout deal on a particular paper and want to have them use that. That can work out well, and might save the printer the trouble of ordering paper that their supplier doesn't normally carry.

When in doubt, it's good to ask printers how they want your files formatted, if they want you to put in printer's marks or a border, what DPI they prefer, and all that good stuff. If you look at the file set-up sections of a printer like www.GotPrint.com, I think some of the issues they address will be similar to what a local printer will ask for (for example, making sure all color images are formatted in CMYK rather than RGB).