Trade: Points (Typography Booklet)

Please read forum rules. Announce your new publications, sell old, new or rare titles by yourself or others, and offer books for trade.

Moderators:brettbloom, marcfischer

Forum rules
Forum Guidelines: Please use this forum to sell and trade artist books, zines, and self-published materials that you have authored, published, or wish to share or sell. Selling new or secondhand artist books and zines that you did not publish is fine and encouraged. This forum is not intended as a general marketplace for all art books, typical art monographs, or books that wouldn’t normally be defined as artist publications. Also, please do not include links to items on Amazon. We are all well aware of the harm that Amazon has caused to independent booksellers. This forum is intended for members that also post throughout the board. Please do not spam the board with inappropriate sales posts, join this discussion forum solely to sell things, or overuse this forum as an alternative to creating your own online store. Thanks!
poiesthesis
Trade: Points (Typography Booklet)

Post by poiesthesis » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:16 am

I have a some extra copies of a typography resource booklet up for trade!
PT-01.gif
PT-01.gif (479.94KiB)Viewed 23123 times
Points: Recommended Resources to Build Typographic Competency
Robert Baxter, 2019 + contributions from Patrick Perkins, Harrison Gerard, and Ryan Hunt
3.5×5.25" 44 pp. paperback (digital black on var. stock + hand bound)

This is a reading list I assembled earlier this year as a little self-education guide for those wandering their way into typesetting. It's an annotated reading list, featuring a mixture of foundational material (namely books and organizations), and a sprinkling of essays and articles for more niche subject matter, as introductions into those topics. The booklet goes over 108 resources in total, focusing on:
  1. General Technique
  2. History
  3. Books & Systems
  4. Lettering + Calligraphy
  5. Making Typefaces
There are also a few little inserts on: (1) where to find typefaces (navigating the foundry system, especially those who offer free, pay-what-you-want, or rental models for their typefaces), and (2) how to use this list as a starting point to build a personal resource collection. "This booklet has been written as a map to a distributed public library — a research guide with access in mind. The majority of these items can be found easily online, and those which cannot are either available inexpensively, or can be located in most university libraries. Ultimately these are resources for self-education — as a whole, they’re just little seeds of a design collection that needs further, individual cultivation."

Let me know if you want to exchange things! I'm especially interested in other educational/resource-based things people are putting together, but am down to trade for whatever (there's also have a PDF version I can send off if anyone just wants to read through the facsimile). I'll include a few more images below.
PT-02.gif
PT-02.gif (529.2KiB)Viewed 23120 times
PT-05.gif
PT-05.gif (486.13KiB)Viewed 23120 times
— Robert
Learning the ropes—you can find me at baxter.design or @poiesthesis.

brettbloom

Re: Trade: Points (Typography Booklet)

Post by brettbloom » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:04 am

@poiesthesis

I would love to make a trade with you for this publication. I am happy to trade Temporary Services, Half Letter Press, or Breakdown Break Down Press booklet for it.
I am a co-founder of Temporary Services. We started Half Letter Press in 2008. I started Breakdown Break Down press in 2014 to focus on the culture of preparing for climate breakdown. https://www.instagram.com/artistpublisher/

poiesthesis

Re: Trade: Points (Typography Booklet)

Post by poiesthesis » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 pm

@brettbloom

Perfect! I'd be glad to trade for a copy of Group Work if you have one available—I'll message you to exchange addresses.
— Robert
Learning the ropes—you can find me at baxter.design or @poiesthesis.